The Leatherman Charge TTi is one of my favorite multi-tools. I think it it because it reminds me of the original Supertool, which I have already stated I am partial to. Compared to the Supertool, the Charge TTi adds quite a few features. The most important is that all tools are locking AND accessible from the outside. This is a stark contrast compared to some of the earlier models, or current lower end Leatherman products, which require opening to access tools.
Leatherman Charge TTi Review:
- Needlenose & Regular Pliers
- Hard Wire Cutters/Regular Wire Cutters
- Crimper: A tool not seen on a majority of multi-tools
- Wire Stripper
- S30V Knife: Holds its edge SIX times longer than 420HC Steel
- 420HC Serrated Knife
- Spring Action Scissors: Again, you either love them or never use them
- Cutting hook: Used to cut rope/cord
- 8 inch Ruler
- Can Opener/Bottle Opener
- Wood/Metal File & Diamond Coated File
- Small/Medium/Large Screw Drivers
Also included in box: Square Drive #1 & #2, Eyeglass Screwdriver, Hex 5/32 & 9/64″, Hex 1/8″ & 7/64″, Hex 3/32″ & 5/64″, Hex 1/16″ & .050″, Phillips #1-2 & 3/16″ Screwdriver, Screwdriver 1/8″ & Torx #15
Who is the Leatherman Charge TTi for?
This Leatherman Charge TTi is an all around the house tool, with a boost. The Charge TTi is for someone who uses their multi-tool quite frequently and will appreciate those added features. The S30V knife as well as an outside accessible tool setup, sets this multi-tool apart from its competitors. Surprisingly, adding the additional features didn’t come at a detriment to size/weight. The Charge TTi weighs in at 8.2 oz and measures 4 inches closed. This makes for everyday carry no problem at all. It is worth noting that a lot of people make a comparison between the Leatherman Charge and the Leatherman Wave. Check out our Leatherman Wave Vs. Charge article for a head to head comparison of the two multi-tools.
This is also recommended for hikers and trekkers who spend a lot of time in the outdoors. The precision tools are also useful for those who need to tinker with cellular phones and the like.
As with all Leatherman products, the Charge TTi comes with a 25 year warranty. You can see the products on Leatherman’s site here.
- Strength – Leatherman always boasts of the strongest pliers in the market. This particular tool can withstand 133% squeeze force which is already a heavy duty set of pliers. Even the charge locks are 50% stronger as compared to other Leatherman products. The titanium material makes the multi tool lighter than aluminum Leatherman tools and yet super durable.
- Bigger and wider knife blades – As compared to other multitools in the market, this actually is longer and wider. This gives better hold and better functionality when using the knife.
- Security locks and bushings – this is one of my favorite functions in the tool. The locks are important as to keep the tools steady when you use them. The locks make it sturdy for use and also keep the tools in place if not needed. With compact tools like this, the usual problem is getting out the tools. The Charge actually has a bushing that makes it easy for you to smoothly open the tools. This allows easy grabbing of one tool at a time.
- Cutting Hook – This feature is one of a kind which you will rarely see in other tools. I think this is great for emergencies especially in cutting seat belts.
- Design – The overall design is quite masculine and the combination of the titanium and aluminum looks great on the tool. The design lets you bring out the multi tools with ease. You can access any tool readily and identify which tool you need.
- Lightweight – This definitely is a light weight tool but bulky on the pocket. It only weighs 1 pound which is considerably light for an 8-inch tool.
- Performance of the small tools – I specifically like this precision tool on this multi set. The usual problem with precision tools is that the tip of the driver actually has no strength which makes you not able to use it at all. The tip of precision tools on this Leatherman Charge, and the other screwdrivers, are actually precise and fits well on the screw surface. You won’t hesitate turning the screw clockwise or counter clockwise because you know that the tips won’t give out on you.
- Warranty – The warranty, although not lifetime, is quite extended which means that the company trusts their product to deliver in performance and durability.
- Price – Because of the material used and the design, this is a bit pricey as compared to other tool sets of this caliber.
Why Buy The Charge?
Although the material is expensive, it is a great buy because it is lightweight for its size, it is durable and strong, and the functionalities are endless. It is an all around tool which is quite amazing. Compared to other tool sets on the market, even to other Leatherman products, this is one of the top of the line products that Leatherman has produced. The Charge TTi definitely supplants the XTi which in itself already a great multitool not just in weight but because of the S30v stainless steel knife. The functionality, performance and the overall design is excellent.
Do not mistake this tool to be used for heavy duty work though, although the grip force is increased to 133%, it still is a multi tool set which can only withstand so much. This is great for the outdoor person and for any individual who needs to do a MacGyver every once in a while.
Charge TTi Owner Reviews
The Leatherman Charge TTi has over 180 reviews on Amazon, showing the tool has been more than put through its paces by end users. The outcome of all those reviews is a 4.6 out of 5. Pretty solid in our opinion. As previously mentioned, the Charge with all the added features, great reviews, and portability doesn’t come without a price tag. Read Owner Reviews Here⇒